The Spiders are a running gag in the Garfield comic strip. They sometimes walk around the house or dangle from the ceiling—and Garfield squishes them with rolled-up newspapers. This leads to several attempts by the spiders to get back at Garfield, about half of which are successful. Garfield occasionally obtains help from the spiders, such as to get rid of an annoying fly. The spider are usually portrayed as hating Garfield; they sometimes try to be nice to him. The spiders at times survive after being squished.
Garfield once hired Guido to kill a fly in 1998, he later squished him. Guido once gave Garfield a Christmas hat, but it was spider-sized. Guido would also swat Garfield for two flies (although he wound up only getting one).
- Using a laser pen to make Garfield fall of the table.
- Taking Pooky as a hostage.
- Ruining Garfield's selfie.
- Imprisoning Garfield in a web(which has happened twice) or a cocoon of spider silk.
- A group of spiders once managed to drag Garfield up in the air with their webbing, and then put a cactus below him before they drop Garfield. Garfield showed little concern, as he only mildly complained, "This will not end well."
- Hitting Garfield with a newspaper (this has happened twice).
- Tricking Garfield into not squishing them by tell him to squish them, or imitating the sounds of Garfield squishing them.
- Wearing a hard hat to keep Garfield from squishing it; this deafened the spider when Garfield hit the hat.
- Tricking Garfield into swatting himself on the head by tickling him.
- Garfield attempts to squish a spider but fails due to the spider out running his swing.
- Garfield tries to squish a spider with a window and ends up bringing down the house instead.
- Garfield tries to jump on a spider and misses and falls through the floor.
- Hiding in a rigged present.
- They have appeared 393 times, the 6th most appearances.
- Guido has appeared 7 times.
- Spiders barely appear in Garfield and Friends - one huge arachnid is imagined by Wade the Duck in "The Thing in the Box" episode.