The birds are a running gag in the Garfield comic strip. Garfield tends to try to catch them (with varying degrees of success).
- Flying away from a birdbath that was filled with chicken stock.
- Escaping Garfield's attempts to sandwich them (multiple times).
- Ice-skating above a birdbath Garfield sat in; the water within unknowingly froze to ice.
- Using mouse holes in the house; five mice played volleyball in a birdbath as well.
- Garfield, a bird, a worm, and a big dog all scare Jon by having the worm touch Jon by surprise.
- Garfield tries to use himself as a makeshift birdbath; this causes a big blue bird to land on him.
- When Garfield once tried to chase a baby chicken, a group of adult chickens surrounded him and attacked.
- Attempting to eat a bug in front of Garfield; this prompted Garfield to crush the bird and squash the bug.
- After Garfield once went on a walk, a canary shortage was reported on the news shortly after he came home.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.